Mutual Fund SIP is a simple tool that helps you to invest regularly in mutual fund schemes of your choice. You can start a SIP with a frequency of your choice: daily, weekly, monthly or quarterly. However, you must check with the AMC in
whose scheme you want to start a SIP as all AMCs may not offer all the frequencies mentioned herein.
How to start SIP investment?
- As per SEBI regulations, you should be KYC compliant to invest in mutual funds. You can fulfil KYC requirements by submitting filled in KYC form with your self-attested photograph affixed on it. If
you are submitting your KYC documents directly to the AMC or RTA, in person verification will be required. You will have to carry original identity and address proof of documents (Aadhar Card, PAN Card and address proof) and
also submit self-attested copies of these documents.
AMFI registered mutual fund distributors are also authorized to conduct in person verification. If you submit your KYC documents through an AMFI registered distributor, he/ she can conduct the in-person verification at a time and
place convenient to you, and therefore, you are not required to go the AMC or RTA office for in-person verification.
- However, if you are an existing mutual fund investor, you are likely to have fulfilled all KYC requirements. Nevertheless, you are required to check if your KYC is verified before investing.
- A bank account is a necessary requirement for starting a SIP. You have to provide your bank account details (account number, IFSC code) in your mutual fund application form. A copy of cancelled cheque
of your bank account is also required as supporting documentation.
- You have to select a mutual fund scheme and option in which you plan to invest through SIP. You also have to choose investing between regular plans (through a mutual distributor) or direct plans (directly
with the AMC). If you are investing in regular plan, the AMFI Registration Number (ARN) and the EUIN (Employees Unique Identification Number) of the distributor has to be provided on the application form; if you are investing
in regular plans, the distributor is expected to help you with filling out the application form and submitting the application with the AMC.
- The other important part of
how to start SIP investment is that you have to submit Auto Debit ECS Mandate form, commonly known as the SIP registration form. The SIP registration form authorizes the bank to debit the SIP instalment amount
on the fixed date chosen by you from your bank account and transfer to the AMC. Your signature in the SIP registration form should match with that of your signature in the records of your bank account.
The above is a procedure of
how to start mutual fund SIPoffline. However, you can also start SIP online. Let us now see
how to start SIP investment online. Needless to mention since the whole procedure will be completed online, you will need a computer with an internet connection.
Step 1 – Arrange the necessary documents
- You need to keep ready documents like Aadhar Card, PAN Card, address proof (Driving License or utility bill or bank statement), a Jpg or png image of your passport size photograph and a cheque book to start SIP investment online; The
cheque book will come handy to provide your bank details and Aadhar card can simplify the process of doing the mutual fund KYC.
As you may know, it is mandatory to comply with the mutual fund KYC requirements to
start SIP investment online.You simply have to provide basic information like name, date of birth, mobile number, address, etc. You just have to go through the process only once, even if you are investing in multiple
Step 2: Become mutual fund KYC compliant
- It is mandatory to comply with the mutual fund KYC requirements for investing in mutual funds. You can become mutual fund KYC compliant online using the eKYC channel. Many fund houses (AMC) provide eKYC facility. Visit the website of
one such AMC and start the process.
You should fill in the basic information online and upload a soft copy of your PAN, Aadhar and address proof to support the details filled in the first step.
Step 3: How to start the SIP online
- Once you are KYC compliant, you can visit the website of the fund house (AMC) in whose scheme you want to invest. Search for a ‘Register Now’ or a ‘New Investor’ link. It will prompt you to fill up a simple form with your basic details,
PAN number etc. and to choose a username and password for transacting online. It will also ask you to enter your bank account details to set up the SIP auto debit amount. Simply log in with the chosen username, password and select the
scheme & plan you wish to invest in. After making the first SIP instalment payment online, the next instalment of your SIP can be set up after a gap of 15-30 days for which the AMC will show you the message on your computer screen.
The SIP will continue till the end period chosen by you.
For information on one-time KYC (Know Your Customer) process, Registered Mutual Funds and procedure to lodge a complaint in case of any grievance
Mutual Fund investments are subject to market risks, read all scheme related documents carefully.